Thursday, October 21, 2010

2010 Fair Happenings and Disappointments

So here we are, 34 weeks pregnant and nearing the end of the tunnel! Since the cooler air (well...80's seems to be as cool as we're getting here) is coming into play it's the perfect time to visit the fair. Matt and I went (just the two of us) the other day and have a fun filled day of seeing all the sites, oogling the livestock, watching a frisbee-catching dog show, and even getting to hold a snake (never thought I would actually have the opportunity to do that!)

It was all fun except for the clown that Matt decided he wanted to stop and look at. I don't think he actually realized just how terrified of clowns I was until he looked back and I was taking baby steps towards him. I honestly felt like crying as I was walking towards the barrier between the clown and I so I could get a look at him. Once I saw him I was pleased that he wasn't one of these flashy make-up, fake hair clowns but he looked more like the 'ol-timey bum's and I was still able to see his face through his make-up. I admit, it was neat seeing him pretend he was a robotic clown and he was very good but for some reason I couldn't get over that paralyzing fear of being that close to one (honestly we weren't even close at all lol). I felt silly and stupid for being scared of something that little kids were walking up to and smiling at. I guess it is pretty sad that I'd rather be in the company of a gigantic snake than a man dressed in costume. But all in all it was a beautiful day and a very loving time for us newlyweds. I tried my best to ignore the fact that every part of my preggo body hurt once we got home and instead looked forward to being able to take Alex later in the week.

For those of you who do not have access to the South Carolina State Fair or have not been able to attend this year, let me point out a few bonuses for our family this go 'round.

First: They are celebrating military appreciation and all active military and their families (with proper military ID) get in free, which means Matt and I got in free both times we went. Also, they were celebrating the boy scouts 100th anniversary so any boyscout dressed in their Class A uniforms got in free (so there...we all got in free!) Now, all the other times Alex has had some sort of opportunity to ride rides, he has always chickened out and sometimes cried b/c he was so scared but thankfully this time he agreed to at least try to ride on the slow-moving train. THANKFULLY, he loved it and couldn't wait to see what else he could ride!

It seemed that he couldn't get enough of the rides and even agreed to ride the fast-paced dragon (which he ended up not liking at all, but I was so proud that he tried it!). The boy scout exhibit was amazing and Alex loved seeing all it had to offer and it seemed to make him proud to be a part of the boy scouts.

Now that all of that is out of the way, you would think there would be at least one thing supporting our troops at the fair (since they were celebrating military appreciation) but the only thing that was there was a very small table next to the local Christian radio station's WMHK booth that had a few postcards laid out for you to sign to send oversea's to our men and women. I jumped at the opportunity to show my love and support to someone else in the military as I know how much it means to us when someone says something warm or nice and I quickly filled out the card and placed it in the box. I noticed no one was at the table so I saw some stickers laid out beside the box saying something along the lines of "I supported our troops" or something like that. I assumed those were handed out to everyone who signed a card so I tore one off for Alex and proceeded to tear one off for myself since, after all I had just filled out a card. About that time someone came around the corner and started speaking to Matt. I couldn't hear much of what he said besides (in a very hasty tone) "Did you fill out a card?" Matt replied, "My wife just did." I looked up and replied, "Yep! I just put it in the box." and smiled at the man but he just stared at me ripping off a sticker like I was doing something wrong. It honestly seemed that he didn't believe that I had and I was just going around the fair stealing people's stickers *rolls eyes*. I noticed Matt's tone was not very pleasant sounding and upon arrival back at home I found out that the snobby man never once told Matt thank you for his service or anything nice along those lines. As a matter of fact, only ONE person came up to him that whole night and said thank you. It's not like he was in civilian clothes and no one knew he was in the military. He had on his full ACU uniform and beret and I had on my dog tags and my I Love My Soldier tag, so there was no excuse for no one noticing. More people ooh'ed and aah'ed over Alex's uniform than Matt's.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my son and am very proud of him being a part of the Boy Scout's but for goodness sakes, he's not risking his life to protect us. Matt on the other hand is and we know at any second he could be called oversea's. I was appalled that everyone there seemed to be more concerned with which ride to ride next, or which overly fattening food to shove down their throats than to take one second to walk up and simply say, "thank you for your service". For a military wife...this is my life. Everything we do revolves around the Army. Thoughts of war and sacrifice run through my mind everyday and it's not something that will go away. Nor do I want it to. I WANT to be reminded of the sacrifice that millions before us have provided just so we can do all the things we enjoy doing today. I am very proud to be a part of this nation's military and even though I turn a little sheepish when someone comes up to ME and tells me thank you, I feel honored when someone says it to Matt. In my opinion, I'm just along for the ride. I never considered the fact that our family is sacrificing as well and have had that pointed out to me several times.

Several months ago I actually had someone stop me at my car and point to my window stickers that say "I love my soldier" and "Proud National Guard Family" and the man said, "Thank you for your service and all you do." I looked at him a little confused and replied, "Oh, I'm not in the army." He replied back, "Oh yes you are. Anyone who is a family member of a soldier and especially a wife is most certainly a part of the military." I looked at him getting a little teary eyed and he smiled and said, "Our spouses are the backbone of our military and they are what keeps us going each day and I know how difficult that is. So I once again tell you thank you for all your service and your sacrifices!" I had never felt so honored in my life. I finally felt like I had a purpose besides just making sure my household is fed, clothed, and things are running as smoothly as I can make them.

I don't ask that anyone tells me thank you for I fully knew what I was getting into when Matt first started talking about joining the military. But we all (as a nation) need to remember what these brave men and women are doing for us. We are selfish and constantly thinking of where we need to go next or what all we need to do for the day. If you do nothing else today, just take 5 seconds to simply breathe a heartfelt "thank you".

And a message to everyone who was at the fair last night and walked right past my husband...shame on you. Shame on you for caring more about the food, the rides, or the games. Shame on you (man at the booth) for caring more about your cards getting signed than having the opportunity to thank a soldier standing right in front of you instead of just sending one through the mail. Shame on you people for rushing to and fro in front of him in your comfortable jeans and T-shirts, rushing to get your new girlfriend a stuffed animal so she won't pout. Shame on you all.

I don't care if you ever tell me thank you for the sacrifice I am providing or thank you to my family for what they are going through. If you do feel the need to say it I will sheepishly accept. But you DO need to thank our men and women in uniform.

Now that my rant is done and I'm finished with two extreme fair trips, my whole body feels as if it will fall apart any second so I'm am dictating to myself to do absolutely nothing today. I can't risk having Liza come early just because I wanted to enjoy a state fair. I'm sure that stressing over ignorant people is not helping either, but my opinion had to be said. I can't sit back and watch that any longer without speaking my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment